Wednesday 26 August 2009

5+2 weeks

The first few days after the positive test were fantastic. I think we all felt so elated that it worked first time. But we were brought back down to earth at the weekend when I had some bleeding. It wasn't heavy, but went on for 3 days. And I am still getting some spotting every day. But we have been told that bleeding is common with IVF pregnancies. We have no reason to believe anything bad has happened as it was 'old blood' (brown) and there were no clots. We've been told that if I have any fresh bleeding (red) or pain then I should go straight to A&E. Otherwise we just carry on as normal and go for our scan on the 3rd.

It has made me very anxious. I usually try to be quite laid back while pregnant but I must admit that this has worried me a little. But I am staying positive. I have lots of pregnancy symptoms: mild morning sickness, constant dizziness (have had that since a few days after the transfer) and the lower part of my tummy is already starting to feel a swollen.

I actually had a very similar bleed with my son (who is now 4). But I didn't know I was pregnant at the time so I had nothing to worry about! I only did a test because I thought it was odd that my period had lasted only a couple of days ... and it was positive!

This time, when I first saw the blood, I panicked and thought it was all over! It was only when I gathered my thoughts that I realised it was only light and was old blood, so possible just leftover from implantation - maybe just a bit of excess lining coming away. Now that everything has settled down, I feel confident again.

So we just have to get through the next week and then we will have the scan. Then hopefully we'll have an uneventful 8 months to go! The big question is, will there be one baby or two?!

No comments: